The additional oil production from a good SPD increases biomass by providing denser fruits and buds, giving a more efficient yield. And of course a higher quality end product can attract higher prices or market demand.
SPD is the reason that tier 1 led can beat its HPS counterparts with as little as 70% of the same power consumption, so for example a good quality tier 1 led fixture outputting average 635 µmol/s-m2 average can beat a Professional HPS Fixture (900 µmol/s-m2 average ) in warm to hot environments or controlled environments as long as it provides an equivalent footprint.
A cool running lamp with a good SPD focused on the plant absorption curves can beat its traditional HPS counterparts for several reasons including:
- Better spectrum equals better quality plants with more essential vitamin and oil content giving a higher return per gram.
- No excessive heat causing plant stress or burning off essential oils.
- Better environmental control, its easier to warm a room than to cool a room.
- Less infestation problems as many predators such as spider mites prefer the hotter climates that HPS can provide.
- More control of the morphology of your plants due to no restrictions on direct heat in or above your canopy area
A cool running lamp with a good SPD focused on the plant absorption curves can beat its traditional HPS counterparts in total cost of ownership and return on investment for several reasons including:
- Repeatable and reliable yields year on year due to absolute minimum light drop from efficiently cooled fixtures allow you to exactly plan your financials.
- 30%+ greater essential oil content gives you a greater return on investment.
- Lower light source energy consumption by as much as 20 – 30% in high bay applications.
- Lower air conditioning costs exponentially.
- Lower water consumption and nutrient costs, HPS lamps evaporate nutrients from your grow media exponentially which can also cause imbalance in the feed content of your media.
- No bulb replacements for ten years:
- Save costs of replacement bulbs (1 bulb every six months = 20 bulbs x £25 = £500 bulb costs over 10 years).
- Saves the earth with no toxic landfill.
- Maintenance for replacing bulbs in high bay applications can be costly and cost you valuable growing time.
- Installation for high voltage HPS lights can be expensive.